Nevada County Airport was built in 1932 by Errol McBoyle, owner of the Idaho Maryland Mine. The purpose was to fly gold to Mills Field which is now the San Francisco International Airport. In 1956, Charles Litton of Litton Industries gave the airport to Nevada County.
Nevada County Air Airport covers an area of 117 acres (47 ha) at an elevation of 3,152 feet (961 m) above mean sea level. It has one asphalt paved runway designated 7/25 which measures 4,350 by 75 feet (1,326 x 23 m) For those that are pilots, GOO is the National Inventory of Airports designator for Nevada Count Airport. In 1995, over $5 million was invested in improvements at the airport. Over 30,000 take-offs occur each year.
Video of Nevada County Airport
According to MyNevadaCounty.com “Nevada County Airport is home to the California Division of Forestry (CDF) Grass Valley Air Attack Base. This center of wild land fire fighting from the air is the permanent location for two Grumman S-2 Air Tankers that drop fire retardant, and an air attack lead plane that coordinates the efforts of the tankers. Aircraft from Nevada County Airport are on standby, ready at a moment’s notice, to respond to fires throughout the foothills and mountains. When larger fires occur nearer to the airport, many other fire fighting aircraft use the airport as a base for fuel and supplies.
Search & Rescue and Medi-Vac aircraft also use the airport year round for public safety missions.
Aircraft used in law enforcement are a common site at the Nevada County Airport. The California Highway Patrol, the Nevada County Sheriff’s Department, and the FBI are only a few of the State and Federal agencies that have used our airport facilities.”
John J. O’Dell
Real Estate Broker
Looking for property in Nevada County
Go to JohnODellRealty.com