Pending home sales in California gained ground for the second consecutive month in February, while the share of equity sales posted higher after two months of decline, the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® (C.A.R.) reported today.
Pending home sales:
C.A.R.’s Pending Home Sales Index (PHSI)* rose from a revised 102.3 in January to 127.8 in February, based on signed contracts. The index also was up from the 111.8 index recorded in February 2011, marking the tenth consecutive month that pending sales were higher than the previous year. Pending home sales are forward-looking indicators of future home sales activity, providing information on the future direction of the market.
Distressed housing market data:
“A lack of inventory in the bank-owned (REO) and short sale market was a contributing factor to the decline in share of distressed sales in February,” said C.A.R. President LeFrancis Arnold. “In fact, REO inventory declined 24 percent in February from the previous year, while short sale inventory dropped 17 percent during the same period.”
• After declining for two straight months, equity sales increased in February, making up 51.1 percent of home sales in February. Equity sales made up 49.9 and 44.8 percent of all sales in January 2012 and February 2011, respectively.
• Meanwhile, the total share of all distressed property types sold statewide decreased in February to 48.9 percent, down from January’s 50.1 percent and from 55.2 percent in February 2011.
• The share of short sales dipped slightly in February. Of the distressed properties sold statewide in January, 23 percent were short sales, down from the previous month’s share of 23.8 percent but up from last February’s share of 22.9 percent.
• The share of REO sales also edged down in February to 25.2 percent, down from January’s 25.9 percent and down from the 31.9 percent recorded in February 2011.
For all your real estate needs:
Call or email today
John J. O’Dell Realtor® GRI
Real Estate Broker
- California Pending Home Sales Climb from Previous Month and Year (johnodellrealty.com)
- Shadow Inventory Distressed Properties Falls 10%, Threat Remains (johnodellrealty.com)
- CoreLogic February Home Price Index Reports Month-Over-Month Increase, When Excluding Distressed Sales (finehomesdigest.wordpress.com)